Finish the Year Strong_It’s Never Too Late for a Career Makeover
I’m not a sports fan, but it’s been impossible to ignore my cities baseball team, the Kansas City Royals, win the World Series. The other thing not easily overlooked is how they play the game. They end much stronger than they start. In fact, the oddsmakers gave the Met’s the game each time after a couple of innings. It’s fun to defy the odds!
I think this is a good metaphor for each of us during this time of year. We often look at January as a good time to reset our goals. We use November and December to coast to the end often with the attitude that it’s too late to impact anything in our career.
But, what if you decided to do what the KC Royals do and finish strong?
Let’s look at some things you can do to give your Career a Makeover and end the year strong:
- One big thing. I always advise my clients to start a new job and find one big accomplishment they can complete in the first 90 days. You can do that right now. It should be visible and also important to the boss to get the most mileage from this action.
- Personal Brand spa treatment. Your Personal Brand is composed of several elements created by consistent behavior. Pick one thing you’d like to change the minds of others and make your plan starting today. What can you begin doing differently from today forward that will in some way change how people at work perceive you?
- Learn a new skill. Not just any skill but one that will help you toward your next career goal.
- Tighten up the relationships. We all let our relationships slide. We forget to stay in contact. We take the people at work for granted. Change that today. Ask co-workers and even the boss out to lunch or for coffee. Stop by and chat with someone and get to know them better. This will pay big career dividends.
- Learn the business. You may think you know enough about your business or industry to do your work and that may be true. There is always something new to learn that can enhance your work. It can spark new, creative ideas for improvements or a new productivity tool.
- Start planning now. It’s a perfect time for you to get a jumpstart on your career planning. Don’t wait until January, do it now and get it going.
If you’ve been in a career slump, it isn’t fun. You can easily get out of the slump by taking a few actions that will create more energy and motivation. This is just what you need to end the year strong.
Brought to you by Dorothy Tannahill-Moran – dedicated to unleash your professional potential.
Bonus Tip: Adapting is key to your career survival, growth, and advancement. Get Free Instant Access to Video series The 5 Most Common Ways Introverts Commit Career Self-Sabotage and How to Avoid Them. Click here now: www.introvertwhisperer.com/careergoals Brought to you by Dorothy Tannahill-Moran, Introvert Whisperer, dedicated to unleashing your career potential. www.introvertwhisperer.com