What is “Managing Up” and 5 Reason Why Should You Care
As with many things that get discussed, we don’t always know or understand a topic except maybe at a cryptic level. Managing Up is one of those concepts that you really want to fully grasp and act on. Your career trajectory will be dependent on it.
Managing up is the idea of taking responsibility for establishing a good working relationship with your boss. The goal is to ensure mutual success. It includes training your boss (if you want to call it that) about your job, you and how best to utilize you as a resource. At the same time, you want to learn how to work most effectively with the boss taking into account such things as personality preferences and learning style.
this could look like “sucking up” to the boss. While not a very flattering moniker, you need to move past that notion. Good relationships will be THE most critical success factor in your career. The relationships you need to establish the need to include the boss.
If you think about your career goals for a minute, it will include the idea of growth and promotions. Rarely does a person go into a job hoping to be paid the same and to stay at the same level for the next 40 years. Our goals include being promoted, even if you never fully considered that fact before now.
- Visibility – If you want to go places professionally, you have to ensure management can easily know your contributions. Never assume management knows what you have done. Managing up will ensure they know.
- Share-of-mind – When the all-important decisions are being made for promotions, if management knows you and what you do, you will be at the top of the list.
- Set the standard – When management has information about what and how you do things, it will be your way that will be how they measure other people. That’s a great position to be in.
- Influence – Influence of anyone is accomplished by virtue of a good working relationship. It means if you know important things like what’s important to your boss, what the hot buttons might be and deliver to them, you will have their attention.
- Support – You will move much faster if you have the support of your management. It’s much easier to get that support when they know you’ve got their back. It’s reciprocity at its finest. You know and support their priorities and help them look good to their boss in return they will do the same for you.
It’s OK for you to admit you have ambitions. It’s not a dirty word. Most of us do, whether or not it’s openly discussed. You want to ensure Managing Up is a big part of your career toolkit from this point forward. You’ll be amazed at how it can accelerate your career.
Brought to you by Dorothy Tannahill-Moran – dedicated to unleash your professional potential.