Are You Stuck In A Dead-End Job? Look For These Signs
- Guest Author
- October 21, 2016
- Personal Branding
- No responses
We have all been in a situation where we found ourselves to be slogging away / passing our days at a dead-end job. However, the realization doesn’t come easily even when you might suspect things are going haywire. Something always comes in the way. It could be having nice colleagues, you being too comfortable in the job or even a great boss. Most people wait until they see the projects they are working on going nowhere to realize that things are not moving anywhere. To help you out, here we have compiled 11 tell-tale signs one should look out for in order to determine whether they are stuck in a dead-end job or not:
- The role and the job responsibilities for which you were hired have not evolved even after being in the company for so long. Your work is fixed with an expectation to perform it in the same way that you have been doing and no additional responsibilities are thrown at you. There is no scope for you to expand your knowledge and skill set.
- Your boss has been stuck in his position for many years now. This might just mean the beginning of your job turning into a rut as it blocks your chances of climbing up the ladder as well.
- Your bosses and supervisors don’t know and don’t even care about what your goals are. They don’t care about your need as an employee nor do they have any idea where you want to see yourself in the coming five years.
- There has been no change in your pay and job title. You have been doing the same work for more than a year or two without being offered a promotion or a raise.
- On top of that, your company prefers hiring people from outside for open positions instead of promoting people from within the organization. You and your colleagues are always passed over for promotions.
- Everybody wants to climb up the corporate ladder but it doesn’t have to come at the price of having no life outside of the work. If your job is demanding you to sacrifice your personal life entirely and requiring you to miss out on important social and family commitments, then it is a clear red flag. Your health with soon suffer and quitting the job will become inevitable. It is better that you do something about it sooner than later.
- Your company has become a revolving door where people get hired quickly and leave even faster. The worst part is that even the people working at higher levels have accepted the fact and yet not doing anything to improve the work environment to lower the attrition rate.
- All the skills you have acquired during your college and the experiences you gained over the years of working are going to a waste as there is no opportunity thrown at you to utilize them.
- You get that “Hate Mondays” feeling every day and even the thought of going to office has become unbearable.
- You don’t see any growth happening for your company. It has been stuck in a rut and chances are that it has even started running into losses. Moreover, there is neither a clear vision nor a strategy being applied to get the company out of this rut. This is the biggest sign of being stuck in a dead end place and you never know when the next round of layoffs happens. You better start looking for a new job.
How you come to realize is not important. What’s important is that you have the aware which doesn’t happen that easily. And we hope that this article will help you reach that point of awareness.
About Megha Raizada –
Megha Raizada is a professional writer working with the premium job portal Naukrigulf.com. She has a keen interest in the global job market but also loves to keep a track of everything interesting happening around the globe. When not writing or browsing the Internet, you will find her creating furniture out of used tires. You can reach her at her LinkedIn account.
Let me emphasize that Self-Promotion doesn’t have to be obnoxious to be effective. But, if you don’t Self-Promote you, who will? If you ever want to get ahead, you have to learn how to Self-Promote. I want to help you accelerate your career by connecting you with your Free Instant Access to my video that shows you simple, yet effective ways to Self-Promote. Start watching now by clicking here!
Brought to you by Dorothy Tannahill-Moran – dedicated to unleashing your professional potential. Introvert Whisperer